Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: Pixi Bittersweet Cacao Palette


Every time I shop at Target, I ALWAYS visit the beauty section. I love how Target have both common drug store cosmetics and some "higher end" cosmetics (such as sonia kashuk).
Pixi (by petra) is one of the "higher end" cosmetics (which range somewhere between drug store cosmetics and cosmetics is department stores) held by Target. I was always intrigued by the smallness of the palette packagings (very travel friendly), as well as the quality, so I decided to pick one up. It was $28 (yikes!)

I purchased the No. 14 Bittersweet Cacao Palette.

Please excuse the horrible camera quality.
Here is what the back of the packaging says:

pixi
Eye Beauty Kit
palette yeur lumiere
No. 14 Bittersweet Cacao
Eight of our favourite beautifying eye colors. Siky and sheer in texture, you can use wet for a party
perfect look or dry for daytime dream eyes. Infused with soothing Aloe Vera & anti-aging VItamin E.
Included is a mini version of our "can't live without" eye brush - one end for easy lining and one for
application and blending. All you need to enhance and energize your eyes!

[picture of palette]

[picture of woman
The most common question I get is: how do i do my eyes to make them stand out? My
reply is always the same, use glowing shades in colours you are naturally drawn to.
I do love a great all-in-one palette of coordinated colours to line, shade, and highlight
the eyes. Pick your favourite palette for endless options of eye-enhancing hues
Love Petra
xxx
Mum &
Makeup Artist

Above is a picture of the palette out of its packaging. See? Its super thin!! *loves*

And the back of the palette

The eye shadows!

Lately, I haven't been using colorful eye shadows. I kinda feel that I have grown out of them... not saying that colorful eye shadows is immature, mind you! I love colorful eye shadows, and I think they expresses personality, style, and enhances a person's look beautifully! However, lately, I find it a hassle to fuss over how to wear it, and wondering if it matches my outfit or not.
Neutrals match with almost everything, and it takes a lot of work out of makeup application (XD). Applying makeup IS fun, and when I want to apply makeup for fun, I would definitely use colorful eyeshadows, BUT if I am getting ready for school, I don't really want to spend so much time on how I look (especially if your room mate is still asleep. Don't want to disturb her!).

So anyhow, that is why I have been really into neutrals (and probably will be for a long time XD).


The colors in the palette is quite nice, but I personally would like it better if more of the colors were matte.
Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but column 1 (from the left of the picture) is matte, and the upper most eyeshadow in column 3 is matte. Everything else is shimmery.
I would LOVE it if the darkest most color (column 4, top shadow) were matte. (I prefer my darks to be matte, and my lights to be shimmery XD)

Also the browns were a little bit TOO brown for me. I wish there was a more mutted brown (like brown with hints of grey). Something similar to MAC's omega.


Here are some swatches:
I swatched it from horizontal top row to bottom row
(left to right from the top to the bottom)

Here is the swatches again in a darker lighting


From the picture, it seems like the column 1 bottom shadow blends and the column 2 top shadow seem to blend into my skin, however, in reality it doesn't! The nude color, believe it or not, is actually LIGHTER than my skin tone. The peach shade comes out the same color as you see in the picture of the palette. (again, sorry for the horrible camera quality)

The shadows are very pigmented (the camera didn't do the colors justice) and the texture is silky smooth. The shadows also blend very easily together. As for longevitiy of wear (alone), I can't really say since I have oily lids (and oily lids hate makeup), BUT the colors do last quite long when I wear the shadows with primer. =D

The brush that comes with the palette isn't bad. I do like the liner brush, but I am not a huge fan of the blending/eyeshadow brush. The fluffier brush (which I call the blending/eyeshadow brush) doesn't apply the shadows very well. The $1 ELF brushes works better! (But then again, I really love the ELF brushes, great quality for the price!

Ratings:
Pigmentation: 4/5
Packaging: 4/5
Length of Wear: 3.8/5
Texture: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Colors: 4/5

Overall Rating: 4/5

I have to say that this palette is very comparable to some products you'll find in Sephora! And I simply love the compact design. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment